John Mitchell started the business in 1956 with one second hand Albion lorry operating from Grangemouth in Central Scotland.
Over the years the firm expanded and in 1973 moved to a purpose built three acre haulage depot with new offices, workshop and storage facilities at Earls Road in Grangemouth. Continued growth saw the acquisition of an additional site in Grangemouth in 1990, which was the Thornbridge Depot. This 26 acre site served our business well for over 13 years and allowed us to develop and progress every part of the John Mitchell Haulage and Warehousing operation. At the beginning of the 21st century we purchased a further seven acres of land adjacent to our Earl’s Road headquarters and began to develop the site into a state of the art transport base, including a new 80,000 square foot warehouse.
The Company is still family owned and managed by Iain Mitchell, who successfully blends the founding core values and principles installed by his late parents, John and Catriona, with the all benefits offered by modern technology and operating equipment. Over the years, John Mitchell Haulage and Warehousing have been awarded a number of industry accolades, including the prestigious Motor Transport, UK Haulier of the Year award in 2002.